Skip Navigation

A very rewarding and life-changing experience awaits you if you choose to study at TRINITY!

In the United States, students usually begin a formal educational program around age five or six in kindergarten, although it is not mandatory. Children then complete grade levels one to 12 before attending a college or university. There are two types of kindergarten through grade 12 (K-12) schools in the United States: public and private. Laws regarding ages for compulsory education vary by state. These laws apply to both public and private K-12 schools. Trinity Lutheran School Grades K- 8 is certified with the Department of Homeland Security. Our SEVP Campus ID is 82055.

While studying in the United States, it is important to maintain your F-1 student status. Your status relates to the purpose, or reason for why you want to come to the United States. The U.S. Department of State issues your visa based on your intended purpose.  Regulations place no limit on the length of time an F-1 student may attend a private, SEVP-certified school. F-1 students attending a private K-12 school are responsible for paying the program’s tuition.

Students who study in the United States must be able to prove their ability to pay for their educational program, a place to stay and other applicable living expenses while in the United States. As noted above, F-1 students attending private schools are responsible for tuition, while F-1 students attending a public secondary school are responsible for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of attending school.

Trinity must receive the student’s financial evidence before issuing the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status.” SEVP is currently interpreting regulations with the understanding that students should be able to demonstrate the financial ability to cover their complete program of study if its duration is one year or less; if the program will have a duration of one year or greater, the student must be able to demonstrate financial ability to cover one year of expenses.

There are no federal regulations that explain specific requirements for what type of evidence of financial support students must provide; however, some common examples include:

  • Family bank statements
  • Documentation from a sponsor
  • Financial aid letters; and/or
  • Scholarship letters

After Financial verification, Trinity will Provide a Form I-20, Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non immigrant Status.” The Form I-20 is a paper record of your information in the database called the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).  Use that Form I-20 to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee and to apply for the correct student visa. Check your Form I-20 against your passport information to make sure that your name and date of birth (DOB) are correctly listed and spelled. If the information on your Form I-20 does not match the information on your passport, contact the DSO who sent you the Form I-20 from the school you plan to attend, and ask them to correct the information for you.

You will need the Form I-20 given by our school for any of the following:

  • Paying your I-901 SEVIS Fee
  • Applying for your non-immigrant visa at your U.S. Embassy or Consulate: Read the embassy or consulate’s website for more specific instructions. You need to apply 120 days before the date listed on your Form I-20. Make sure the type of visa you receive matches the I-20 type you have (F or M).
  • Entering the United States: Bring your Form I-20 with you when you enter the United States. You will present it to U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the port of entry when you arrive. You may arrive up to 30 days before the start date listed on your Form I-20.